Please go here to read a full discussion of the problem. Here is a summary of the steps i took to fix this problem.
- Made sure that memory capacity is not a problem.
- SSHed into my WebFaction account.
- $ ps -u user -o pid,rss,command
output is: PID, Total memory in bytes, full path of process.
- I saw that i was over my memory limit.
- Upgraded to get more memory.
- Tested to see if that worked. IT DID NOT.
- I read this thread.
- Made sure that the web2py directory contained a directory named “deposit”.
- It did.
- Re-tested – NO GOOD.
- Opened a WebFaction Ticket.
- WebFaction Support suggested that I “…try running the web2py daemon script manually (“python2.5 web2py[.py]”) to initialize those systems”.
- Decided i would do that.
- Ran web2py from the SSH command line to initialize it.
- $ cd ~/path_to_troubled_web2py_instance/web2py/
- $ python2.5 web2py.py
Up came web2py saying:
web2py Enterprise Web Framework
Created by Massimo Di Pierro, Copyright 2007-2011
Version 1.92.1 (2011-02-16 15:04:40)
Database drivers available: SQLite3, pymysql, PostgreSQL
choose a password:
use “kill -SIGTERM 6744” to shutdown the web2py server
- I let it run for a couple of minutes to initialize.
- $ kill -SIGTERM 6744 # The number 6744 varies. Use the number mentioned by web2py.
- Re-tested by by using IE8 to https login to the associated web2py admin from my windows XP desktop. SUCCESS. I was able to create the “home” app.