I didn’t want to run the Google Chrome installer without downloading. After downloading the installer, a warning said that this method sometimes yielded an installation of Chrome that did not automatically check for updates and that it was wise to do that manually.
After searching for a solution for this problem without success, I broke the problem into two parts:
- How to Manually Check for Updates.
- How to Do the Update if Necessary.
How to Manually Check for Updates
- Go to http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/
- Look for Stable Channel Update
- Find the version number for your OS
- Click on the Chrome Wrench Icon
- Select About Google Chrome
How to Do the Update if Necessary
Selecting About Google Chrome from the Chrome Wrench Icon opens up a dialog that seemingly checked to see if chrome is up to date. In my case it performed the check, and did the update to 21.0.1180.77 from the previous version.